Before and during World War I.


Kós is born on the 16th of December in Temesvár (Timişoara). His father, Károly Kosch, was a descendant of the Szepes Saxons and was an employee of the postal service, and his mother, Sidonia Sivet, was French. He had three sisters.


Kós begins elementary school in Nagyszeben (Sibiu).


The family moves to Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca). There, he continues his studies at the Reformed School.


In the summer, Kós first visits some of the villages of the Kalotaszeg region.


Kós completes his secondary studies.

He takes a trip to visit his friend Balázs Balázs, the son of the Reformed minister of Türe (Turea), and here he meets Ida. 


After a delay of a year due to illness, Kós begins his studies in the school of engineering at the Royal Joseph Technical University, which he continues starting in 1904 in the department of architecture.


Kós wins 2nd prize in the Wellisch student competition for his design of a well house. Using the prize money, he visits Torockó (Rimetea), Aranyossék (Scanul Arieşului), and the valley of the Kis-Küküllő (Târnava Mică) River over the summer.

Together with Dénes Györgyi, he organizes the first exhibition of the architectural students. His drawing that is exhibited in this (Design for a Small Rural House – Experiment in a Székely Folk Manner) is published in the magazine Művészet (Art).


After obtaining his degree in architecture, Kós takes a trip with his fellow students to Italy.

He travels to Transylvania to study vernacular architecture on a fellowship from the Ministry of Culture. He writes and illustrates a booklet entitled The Architecture of the Transylvanian People.

He works in the office of Móric Pogány.

In the fall and winter, he designs his artist’s home with a small studio.


Kós’s first commission, together with Dezső Zrumecky, is for the Reformed Parsonage of Óbuda.

March-August: He works in the office of Géza Maróti.

He prepares draft plans for the Budapest Municipal Zoo and Botanical Gardens. The designs he made with Zrumecky for the rebuilt Budapest Zoo are completed by 1912.

He designs a home in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) for his parents (construction: 1909–1910).

He takes a trip to the Kalotaszeg region with Zrumecky in the fall.

His designs are exhibited with success at the International Congress of Architects in Vienna.


Kós completes the design and construction of the Roman Catholic church in Zebegény with the assistance of Béla Jánszky and Dénes Györgyi.


Kós designs a palace, a residence in Göd, and a mausoleum in Vác with Dénes Györgyi.

He purchases a lot in Sztána (Stana) and begins designing his own house, Crow Castle.

His illustrated writings “My Small World” in A Ház (The House) and “Song of Atila the King” in Magyar Iparművészet (Hungarian Applied Arts) are published.

He receives 2nd prize in the design competition for the Maros-Torda County Hall.

In the fall, he receives the commission for the design of the two residential buildings of the public works complex in Marosvásárhely (Târgu Mureş).

October-December: He designs the Kecskemét artists’ colony.


Starting in the spring, Kós works on the design and construction of the Folyovits Residence with Ede Toroczkai Wigand.

Together with Dénes Györgyi, he participates in the Hungarian exhibition hall project to be built in Rome and in the design competition for the Reformed Church apartments in Debrecen, and he prepares the design entry for the Maros-Torda County Hall in Marosvásárhely (Târgu Mureş) with Ede Wigand.

He designs the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) summer home of Béla Fekete Nagy, but it is not built.

In the summer, the majority of the zoo buildings are completed, Kós steps down from the project, and Zrumeczky finishes the remaining tasks.

He accepts a temporary teaching position at the Budapest School of Industrial Design.

Together with Dénes Györgyi, he receives a commission to design and construct the Városmajor Street Elementary School and Nursery School.

The construction of the house in Sztána (Stana) is completed in the fall.

He marries Ida Balázs, the daughter of the reformed pastor of Türe (Turea).

His drawings made for the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) Chamber of Industry design competition are published.

He remodels and expands the manor house in Szada of Baron Vécsey.


Kós’s handwritten and illustrated work “Old Kalotaszeg” is published in Magyar Iparművészet (Hungarian Applied Arts). His work is awarded the Czigler Medal by the Hungarian Association of Engineers and Architects.

He receives the commission to design and construct the Székely National Museum and the residences of the museum caretakers in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe).

He designs the residences of the Keresztes siblings in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) (constructed in 1913).

In the fall, he resigns from his position at the School of Industrial Design, and recommends Zrumeczky to take his place. He steps down as supervisor for the construction of the Városmajor school, handing the position over to Györgyi. He gives up his apartment in Pest and moves to Sztána (Stana) with his family.


Kós wins the closed competition announced for the design of the main square of the Wekerle Estate, and construction begins. Residences nos. 2-3 are built according to Kós’s designs. He moves to Budapest during the time of the project.

His first child is born, Balázs (1912–1967, agricultural writer and editor).

Starting in the fall, he designs the Monostori Road Reformed Church (constructed: June-December 1913).


In September, Kós takes a study tour of Transylvania with Dezső Zrumeczky.  

He designs the Kisenyed (Sângătin) Reformed Church, which is never built.

In the fall, he is asked to design the buildings of the hospital in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) (construction plans: 1914–1918).


Kós designs the Monostori Road Reformed parsonage and school buildings in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca). These were not built.

He sets off on a study tour to northern Italy with his wife.

Their second son is born, András (1914–2010, sculptor).

He makes plans for schools that are not realized: Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca), Reformed elementary school; and Budapest, Girls’ Agricultural and Horticultural School and Residential College with Zrumeczky.


Kós designs public schools for the Ministry of Culture.

A printing press is installed in Crow Castle, it produces booklets and almanacs illustrated with color prints issued in small print runs (e.g. Testament and Agriculture, 1915; Stones of Transylvania, 1922).


Kós’s third child is born, Zsófia (1916–1990, actress).

He is called up as a soldier several times during the war, but his friends succeed for the most part in securing his discharge from service due to his activities as a construction manager.

The construction work on the Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) hospital is halted in the summer.

December: He designs the decorations and the coronation hill for the coronation celebrations of Charles IV.


Kós studies Byzantine and Ottoman-Turkish architecture as a fellowship employee of the Hungarian Scientific Institute of Constantinople. He summarizes the results of his research in the monograph on urban history entitled Sztambul.

He receives a commission from Archduke Joseph for his planned hunting lodge in the Görgényi (Gurghiu) Mountains, which is never built.

The Fiatalok (Young Ones)

The Fiatalok (Young Ones)


“The basis of our constructive folk art is medieval art, and the basis of our national art is folk art” Károly Kós.


The title Fiatalok (The Young Ones) refers to a loose group of architectural students from the Technical University, whose members strove to realize their professional concepts based on “the traditions of the nation’s past and the lessons of vernacular works that still exist.” The student exhibition organized by Károly Kós and Dénes Györgyi drew the attention of critics and patrons such as the deputy of the Ministry of Culture Elek Lippich to these talented future architects. Magyar Iparművészet (Hungarian Applied Arts) had already presented their architectural principles and sources of inspiration in an illustrated 1908 article. The first volume of Dezső Malonyay’s series The Art of the Hungarian People about the Kalotaszeg region served as an inspiration for them to accept the constructive, design, and artistic approach of the Transylvanian people as the basis for their own Hungarian stylistic efforts. The tower of the Körösfő (Izvoru Crişului) church with its smooth walls, internal divisions that could be read on the exterior, and expression of structural lines and masses to which all decoration was subordinated became a kind of symbol for them. During their travels around the country, they returned time and again to this village in the Kalotaszeg region where the heritage handed down from generation to generation had been able to survive free of external influence.

An organized association did not develop from this group of friends. They followed their own paths, but their relationship to their external artistic and formal influences were the same. One key example of this was the British Arts and Crafts movement that had rediscovered medieval art, revitalized cottage industries, and aimed at creating a livable home. The second most important influence arrived from the Finns, who were looking to folk art as a source of inspiration. The parallels between the fates of the Hungarians and the Finns included externally imposed cultural and political power, the desire for national independence that appeared primarily in the area of art, and the flourishing production of folk art. An aspiration that was in common was the use of natural and traditional materials in architecture.

The work of the Fiatalok in the spirit of “folksy” architecture only lasted for a brief period, and came to an end with the First World War. Some members died early, and the rest either joined the trends towards the Neo-Baroque or towards Modernism from abroad after the war. Károly Kós was one who stuck to his original convictions and architectural principles throughout his life.


The Fiatalok:

József Bábolnay (1886–1983)

Dénes Györgyi (1886–1961)

Béla Jánszky (1884–1945)

Lajos Kozma (1884–1948)

Károly Kós (1883–1977)

Loránd Lechner (1883–1963)

Valér Mende (1886–1918)

Lajos Tátray (1885–1909)

Dezső Zrumeczky (1884–1917)



Czakó Elemér: Fiatal építészek. In: Magyar Iparművészet XI./3., 1908 (120–125.)

Fabó Beáta–Anthony Gall: „Napkeletről jöttem nagy palotás rakott városba kerültem”. Kós Károly világa 1907–1914. Budapest Főváros Levéltára, 2014 (46–48.)

Gall, Anthony: Kós Károly (Az építészet mesterei. Sorozatszerk.: Sisa József). Holnap Kiadó, Budapest, 2019 (35–40.)

Gall, Anthony: Kós Károly műhelye – tanulmány és adattár. Mundus Magyar Egyetemi Kiadó, Budapest, 2002 (33–42., 312–313.)

Koronghi Lippich Elek, dr.: A művészetek és a stílus. In: Magyar Iparművészet XI./3., 1908 (97–120.)

Kós Károly levele Kubinszky Mihálynak, 1964. május 10. In: Sas Péter (szerk.): Kós Károly levelezése, Mundus Magyar Egyetemi Kiadó, Budapest, 2003 (583–587.)

Kós Károly: Erdélyország népének építése, 1908. Megjelent: Balassi–Polis, Budapest–Kolozsvár, 1996

Kós Károly: Guild of Handicraft. In: Vasárnapi Újság, Kolozsvár, 1923. júl. 1.

Töreky Flóra: A Városmajor utcai iskola és óvoda épülete (PPKE BTK, BA szakdolgozat), 2012 (4–12.)

During the Interwar period


Kós settles down with his family at Crow Castle for good after the war.

He participates in the formation of the Republic of Kalotaszeg at Bánffyhunyad (Huedin).

The plans for the expansion of the town hall in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) are not realized.

His fourth child is born, Károly (1919–1996, ethnographer, writer).


Kós’s writing Exclamation encouraging the Hungarian minority to stick together and mobilize is published.

His plan for the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) Orthodox Cathedral wins 2nd prize in the design competition.

He designs the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) house of Kornél Viola.

He takes on work at the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) architectural office of Elemér Moll, while also working as a newspaper editor, columnist, and graphic designer.


Kós works on the restoration and extension of the Reformed church in Magyarbikal (Bikălatu), and the construction of its new tower.


Kós constructs the buildings of the Iris porcelain factory in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca). These were later completely remodeled.

He constructs the workers’ homes of the wire industry works in Aranyosgyéres (Câmpia Turzii).

His essay “Guild of Handicraft” is published in the Vasárnapi Újság (Sunday News). In this, Kós expounds on the sources of his architectural and artistic credo.


Kós founds the Transylvanian Guild of Fine Arts, which publishes the work of Transylvanian writers.

His designs of residences that were built include houses for Dr. Samu Csulak and Vilmos Csutak in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) and for Jenő Szentimrei in Sztána (Stana).

He designs the Greek Catholic church in Sztána (Stana) (construction: 1927).

He designs the Reformed parsonage building in Bánffyhunyad (Huedin) (construction: 1925).

He restores, expands, and constructs a new tower for the Greek Catholic church in Erdőfelek (Feleacu).


Kós’s novel entitled The Varjú Kin is published.


Kós designs the Girls’ Reformed High School in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) (construction: 1927–1928).

He designs the residence of Gerő Simon in Csucsa (Ciucea).

His designs for summer homes that were not constructed include that of Lajos Csibi in Borszék (Borsec) and Dr. György Hincz in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca).

He designs a well house in Kászonjakabfalva for Dr. Kristóf Fogolyán (previous designs: 1918, 1924, construction: 1926–1928).


Kós designs the Greek Catholic church in Kispetri (Petrinzel).

He designs the Reformed culture center in Nagybacon (Băţanii Mari) (construction: 1927–1929).

His design for the Reformed church in Barót (Baraolt) is not built.

He designs an apartment house in Budapest for Andor Malmos (construction: 1928).


Kós’s illustrated volume of essays entitled The Art of the House is published.

He remodels and expands the Reformed parsonage and prayer hall in Bodos (Bodoş) (construction: 1929–1930).

He designs the Reformed parsonage and prayer hall in Erősd (Ariuşd).

He renovates and remodels the Greek Catholic church in Erdőfalva (Ardeova) (completed in 1930)

He designs the Marosvécs (Brâncoveneşti) public school and teacher’s residence.

He reworks his competition design for the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) cathedral in his design for the Greek Catholic church of Fejérd (Feiurdeni).

He designs the residence of Dr. Zsigmond Imre in Miskolc.


Kós designs the culture center in Mákófalva (Macău) (construction lasts until 1942).

He designs the Reformed elementary school in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) (opened: 1931).

His published works include The Székely House and Translyvania.


At the exhibition of Transylvanian artists, Kós presents his plans for the Műcsarnok art gallery in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) (constructed: 1942–1943), which he founded together with Sándor Szolnay and designed for the Barabás Miklós Guild representing Transylvanian artists.  


Kós’s competition design for the Reformed girls’ commercial school of Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) is awarded the first prize, but he does not receive the commission.

He designs the Bethlen Gábor teacher training elementary school in Nagyenyed (Aiud).


Kós’s book Kalotaszeg is published.

He designs the Sanatorium of Dr. János Csíki at Lake Gyilkos (Roşu) (burned down in 1986). He also designs a chapel at the behest of Csíki, which is not built.

He designs the Reformed College Teacher’s Residence in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe) (constructed: 1933–1934).

His design for the Reformed church in Baca (Baţa) is not constructed.

He designs the Reformed Girls’ Boarding School (construction: 1935. Later demolished).


Kós designs a Unitarian church, parsonage and apartment house in Brassó (Braşov). The construction work is halted in 1934 by the Romanian Ministry of the Interior.


The Country Founder is published. Kós receives the Baumgarten Award for this novel in 1938. The play entitled King István that is based on this is first presented at the National Theater in Budapest in 1942.

He designs the Reformed prayer hall in Brassó (Braşov) (the House of Hope is erected on its site around 1993).

He designs the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) Hungarian Chamber Theater and Cultural Center, which is never built.

He designs the residence of Ferenc Pál in Szentivánlaborfalva (Sântionlunca).


Kós designs the Reformed church and classroom in Bábony (Băbiu).

He designs the Kalotaszeg Museum and cultural center, which would have provided a home to the collections gathered during Kós’s time as head curator of the Kalotaszeg Reformed diocese. The initiative is not carried out.


Kós designs the Bábony (Băbiu) agricultural farmstead and school of the Reformed diocese. The school is not constructed and the farmstead is destroyed in 1944.

He designs the Reformed cultural center in Körösfő (Izvoru Crişului). The building that is completed in 1937 is remodeled after 1990.

He restores the Reformed church in Bonchida (Bonţida).

He restores the Bánffy Palace in Bonchida (Bonţida) (destroyed in 1944).  


Kós holds a lecture entitled Transylvanian Architecture – Hungarian Architecture on the 25th of January at the Hungarian Association of Engineers and Architects in Budapest.

His play Antal Budai Nagy is staged at the Comedy Theater of Budapest under the direction of Miklós Bánffy, and it also opens in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) in this year.

He designs the Reformed church in Ketesd (Tetişu) (construction lasts until 1941).  

He designs the Reformed church of Szováta (Sovata), which is never built.

He designs the residence of Dr. János Csíki in Gyergyószentmiklós (Gheorgheni).

He designs a summer home in Sztána (Stana) for his sister, Szidónia Kós.


Kós constructs the Crow Farm, a separate studio and farmstead in Sztána (Stana) on Mt. Kereszt above Crow Castle.

He publishes A Book about Horses on his home printing press.

He constructs a residence and outbuildings in Józseffalva (Vornicenii Mici).

Károly Kós and monument protection

Kós Károly műemléki szemlélete Schulek Frigyes, a Halászbástyát és a Mátyás-templom átépítését tervező tanára és mestere keze alatt bontakozott ki. A hitelességhez tartozott a stílus ismerete az alkotás szabadságával ötvözve. Korai munkáin gyakran felismerhetők középkori motívumok, különösen az épületbejáratoknál idézetként jelennek meg boltozatok, vaspántos, nehéz ajtók kovácsoltvas kilincsekkel, faragott kőoszlopok. Az első világháború után megjelent a Vasárnap című újságban Öreg templomok című írása, melyben kiáll a régi falusi egyházak megőrzéséért. Kós szerint a templombővítéseknél nem a régi lebontása és jellegtelen új épület emelése a cél, hanem olyan alkotások létrehozása, amelyek megőrzik a közösségek saját identitását. Itt gyökerezik az az elképzelés, ami a hagyományos műemléki tevékenység megszervezésén felül a magyar „kultúrtáj” megőrzését tűzte célul. Az Erdély kövei és az Erdély című linóleummetszetekkel illusztrált kis könyvecskék bemutatják Erdély jellegzetes épületeit, amelyek együttesen a sajátos erdélyi kultúrtáj részei. E tekintetben Kós Károly műemléki tevékenységét tágabb objektívval kell szemlélni, hiszen a magyar kisebbség megmaradását kötötte ahhoz a gondolathoz, hogy otthon kell érezni magunkat ott, ahol élünk, az elődeink, a természet és a történelem által együttesen formált kultúrtájban.


„Öreg templomok

Szomoru itéletet mondott ki Kalotaszeg két magyar falujának népe a husvéti ünnepek előtt: az öreg templomot le kell bontani, mert szük már és ujat kell helyébe épiteni. Két sokszázesztendős templomra mondotta ki ezt a halálos itéletet, két csodaszép épületre, melynek elpusztitása soha és semmivel nem pótolható, kára lenne az elárvult erdélyi magyar müvészetnek, nemzeti kulturánknak.

Igaz, öreg, kopott épületek, vedlettek, szürkék a falak, századok és századok sok zivatara mosta verte őket; szükek is már, nem fér beléjük a megszaporodott nép. Igaz ez mind. Az egyházközségnek muszáj valamit csinálnia és csak dicsérendő, ha van a mai emberekben a mai nehéz világban áldozatkészség, hogy a hitének, Istenének megfelelő hajlékot épitsen. De azért meg kell gondolnia, hogy amikor évszázadokra való áldozatát meghozza, amikor épiteni akar, akkor az épitést ne kezdje el oly értékek lerombolásával, melyeket pótolni nem tudhat, semmi munkával, semmi áldozattal.

A vistai és bikali öreg templomok ma már nemcsak a vistai és bikali református egyház hiveinek tulajdonai, de értékei, öröksége, kincsei az egész magyarságnak és lehetetlenségnek tartjuk, hogy bikali és vistai magyar testvéreink, ha megtudják azt, hogy templomuk lerombolása a magyar müvészet, a közös ezeréves magyar kultura szegényedését jelenti, meg ne gondolják még egyszer jól és meg ne változtassák ítéletüket.

Tudom azt, hogy nem szabad utjában állani annak, hogy a nép a maga lelki szükségleteit a maga pénzén ki ne elégithesse. Tudom, hogy nincs joga senkinek arra, hogy a dolgozó magyar népünktől külön áldozatot követeljen, ha az az áldozat a közös magyar kulturáért hozattatnék is. De igenis kell, hogy azok, akiknek hivatásuk és kötelességük a nép vezetése, tanitása, irányitása, felvilágositsák arról vistai és bikali kálvinista magyarságunkat, hogy minden külön áldozat nélkül megvalósithatják azt, hogy nagyobb templomuk legyen és egyuttal nem kell elpusztitaniok magyar müveltségünk, ősi kulturánk, müvészetünk, sokszázados bizonyitékait. De a roskadozó falakat megtámaszthatják, kihulló köveit visszarakhatják, hogy a sors által nekünk kiszabott jövendőben az előttünk álló és magyarságunkért, jövendőnkért, életünkért folytatandó nehéz harcokba pusztithatatlan erőségeink lehessenek, mint voltak a multban.

És a vistai és bikali ősi kálvinista templomok továbbra is, megujulva, megerősödve, megnövekedve fogják hirdetni a magyar nemzet örök és elvitathatatlan jogát az élethez.”

(Kós Károly: Öreg templomok. Megjelent In: Vasárnap, Kolozsvár, 1922. ápr. 23.)

During and after Wolrd War II.


Kós designs the elementary school and teacher’s residence in Nagykapus (Copşa Mare).


Kós is named the professor of agricultural architecture at the Agricultural College in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca).

He is awarded the Corvin Laurel for his work.

He gives a lecture on the 18th of November in Budapest at the Hungarian Association of Engineers and Architects entitled The Protection of Our Historic Buildings in Transylvania.


Kós designs a lookout tower and inn on the Rózsadomb Hill in Budapest, which is never built.

He designs the KALOT Székely Public College in Csíksomlyó (Şumuleu) (constructed: 1943).

He designs the town hall and clerk’s residence in Gyerővásárhely (Dumbrava).


Kós designs a Reformed cultural center and shop in Magyarbikal (Bikălatu), which is never built (second version of the design: 1948).

He prepares standardized designs for small Reformed churches at the request of the Reformed presbyter of Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca), János Vásárhelyi.

He designs the Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) residence of Dr. László Kovács.

In the spring, he receives a commission together with the historic building expert Dr. Géza Lux to restore the birthplace of King Matthias in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca).

An exhibition presenting Kós’s architectural activities is organized in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca).


He designs a Reformed church in Hargitafürdő (Hargita-Băi), which is never built.

He makes standardized designs for the National Foundation for the Protection of the Nation and Family. Twenty semi-detached houses are built in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) and five single-story houses in Nagyiklód (Iclod).

The Reformed church of Nagyiklód (Iclod) is sold to the Orthodox church before it is finished and it is completely remodeled.


Kós’s technical architectural books The Architecture of the Szekély People and Agricultural Architecture are published.

In October, he decides that he will not move with the college to Keszthely, but the family cannot remain in Sztána (Stana). They are forced to move to Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) and their home is ransacked.


Kós is named the dean of the reorganized Agricultural Academy in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca).

His book entitled Village Architecture is published.

He designs the cultural center and co-op store in Györgyfalva (Gheorghieni).

He designs the residence of Mihály Balla in Magyardécse (Cireşoaia).


Kós is a representative in the National Assembly.

He restores, expands, and designs a new tower for the Reformed church in Szék (Sic).

He designs the Petőfi Cultural Center, memorial column, and the fence and gate around the war graves in Fehéregyháza (Albeşti) for the one-hundredth anniversary of the 1848 revolution, but they are not built.

He restores and expands the Reformed church of Körtvélyfája (Periş).

He designs the Írisztelep Reformed church in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca) (construction: 1948–1955).

The construction of the Siklósd (Sigleß, Austria) Reformed church designed by Kós is halted in 1951 and then is resumed in 1990 using the original plans.

He designs a funerary chapel in Szamosújvár (Gherla) (construction: 1954).

He designs the residence of Dr. Gábor Kabay in Szepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe), which is never built.


Kós’s designs that were not realized: the new school pavilion at the Institute of Economics in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca); the estate for agricultural workers and officials in Kolozsmonostor (Cluj-Mănăştur); the boarding school of trade in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe); and the collective farm operational centers in Kispetri (Petrinzel) and Mezőkók (Pădureni).


The Reformed parsonage in Nagypetri (Petrindu) is built by reworking Kós’s 1914 plans.


Kós’s design for the Reformed prayer hall in Kissebes (Poieni) is not constructed, nor is his plan for the Reformed church and parsonage in Felsődetrehem (Tritenii de Sus).


Kós prepares two different designs for the Egeres–Ferencbánya (Aghireşu–Ticu-Colonie) Reformed church, but the construction is not completed.

He designs the studio-home of the sculptor and teacher András Kós.


Kós’s writing Agricultural Architecture is published.

His designs for the Reformed church of Marosvásárhely (Târgu Mureş) and the culture center of Köröstárkány (Tărkaia) remain unbuilt.

He designs the residence of Károly Benedek in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe).


Kós is awarded the gold Order of Work medal.

He makes plans for the restoration, expansion, and new tower of the Reformed church of Margyarvista (Viştea) (previous design: 1922). This project is not undertaken.


Kós designs Reformed parsonages in Farnas (Sfăraş), Magyardécse (Cireşoaia), Misztótfalu (Tăuţii de Jos), Kalotaszentkirály (Sâncraiu), Désfalva (Deaj), Kolozskara (Cara), and Baca (Baţa). He designs several similar buildings, none of which is built.


Kós plans the remodeling of the existing Brassó (Braşov) Reformed church.

He is treated in a hospital for three months after a heart attack.


Kós designs the lych-house of the Reformed fortified church in Sepsiszentgyörgy (Sfântu Gheorghe).


Kós is given an honorary doctorate from the Budapest Technical University.


Kós is awarded the Order of Culture, first degree.


Kós moves in with his children after the death of his wife.

He receives honors from the governments of Hungary and Romania for his life’s work.


Kós dies on the 24th of August in Kolozsvár (Cluj-Napoca). Several thousand escort him on his final journey from the Farkas Street Reformed Church to the Házsongárd Cemetery.